Monday, May 24, 2010

thoughts on upcycling used clothing. . .

I am all for recycling. I recycle paper, plastics and other things but when it comes to recycling used clothing, or rather UPCYCLING used clothing, I sometimes have doubts. Yes, it helps the environment if you aren't using the chemicals and resources but the fact that those chemicals were used in the FIRST place is what bothers me. Aren't those same chemicals still in the fabric that is against your body? Why is it that people consider it a healthy alternative when the first time around it was on the not so good list.?
"Gee Honey, look at this! I made an adorable baby dress for our daughter and I made it completely out of old t-shirts. Isn't it wonderful?"
"Yeh, looks great " says honey bunch aloud but in his mind he is thinking. . .'maybe those were Ted Johnson's old t-shirts that he wore to the gym and sweat on everyday. Sweat rolled off of him as he strained to lift the 250 lb. weights and he simply dripped with sweat as he ran the marathon last month.' hmmmm. . . . ." It's real cute dear."
I guess what I am saying is that the harmful dyes are still there and it is still the cotton that was grown using hazardous chemicals and fertilizers that leached into the water supply. I don't know that I would consider the little advantage of reusing it to be such a great advantage in the whole scheme of things. What do you think?

No comments: